Timber Tibre : Creep On Creepin' On



"Woman" from the new album Creep On Creepin' On

Timber Timbre's new album, Creep On Creepin' On was released 3 days ago on the famed Canadian label Arts & Crafts. Founded with the 2002 release of Broken Social Scene's You Forget It In People, A&C has basically been a goldmine ever since: Fiest, Stars, Los Campesinos!, M Ward, Phoenix, and on and on. I say this in almost every post, but good grief. Canada kills it again.



There's a lot of talk of blues influences in Timber Timbre's music. Kirk tends to back out of the suggestion with modesty instead of denial. When I first heard the track "Like A Mountain" I immediately thought of Cab Calloway's 1933 "Old Man of the Mountain" (as seen/heard in the Betty Boop film of that year). It is, in my opinion, an enormous compliment to any musician today to hear an honest influence from someone like Cab. Especially because Taylor Kirk probably knows it.

"When I listen to blues-era recordings, it sounds to me like the purest form of musical expression. I couldn't even tell you about any current blues musicians. I'm mostly listening to the old recordings now, like Son House, Leroy Carr and various Blind Willies.'' 
Timber Timbre is mainly the project of Taylor Kirk, with the help of  Mika Posen, and Simon Trottier . Kirk and Trottier sometimes produce other artist's music, including the two tracks for Tasseomancy (formerly Ghost Bees) on their Myspace. Also: I highly recommend checking out the Take Away Show video posted on the same site. 

Conclusions: Creepy music is underrated, and has a tendency to come in the form of siblings (I'm looking at you, CocoRosie).

No comments:

Post a Comment